Skip navigation

The Unit strives to satisfy the needs of its customers. But we realise that sometimes we make mistakes and that sometimes people are not happy with what we have done.

Our policy for handling complaints is set out below.

What do we mean by a complaint?

We define a complaint as "an expression of dissatisfaction, however made, about the standard of service, actions or lack of action by the Unit or its staff affecting a member or members of the public".

How to make a complaint

You can make a complaint:

  • In person at the Unit’s office (#6 F&J Plaza, Mary Street)
  • By telephone 345-943-1127
  • In writing to:
    • Ms. Katherine Whittaker
    • Youth Services Unit
    • #6 F&J Plaza, Mary Street
    • c/o Government Administration Building
    • Grand Cayman KY1-9000
  • By email:
  • Your name, address and contact details so we can respond to your complaint.
  • Anything else which you think would help to make your point and help us to investigate your concerns.

When making a complaint, try to give us as much detail as possible, for example:

  • What service, policy, person or aspect of the Unit you are complaining about.
  • If appropriate, the date, time and location where an incident may have taken place and who may have been affected.
  • Any expectations you may have had of Unit’s services, as a result of information we provided or what staff of the Unit may have said.

How we handle complaints

In the first instance, your complaint will be handled by Ms Katherine Whittaker, head of the Youth Services Unit. We will try to resolve your complaint as soon as we receive it. But if the matter cannot be resolved immediately, we will write to you to acknowledge receipt of your complaint within five working days of it being lodged, and then provide a fuller written response.

We will send a written response to your complaint within 25 working days of it being lodged. This could be our final response to your complaint or a progress report of how we are investigating your concerns.

Where we have provided you with a progress report, we will continue to provide you with further progress reports, until your complaint has been dealt with.

If we have not acknowledged your complaint within five days of receiving it or have not provided you with a full written response within 25 days, then we will write to explain the reasons why and to give you a date by which time we expect to be able to give you a full or final response.

Putting Things Right

If your complaint is found to be justified, we will write to apologise to the people concerned, and if necessary, the matter will be reported to the Chief Officer of the Ministry of Education, Training, Employment, Youth Sports and Culture to consider remedial action.

Anonymous Complaints

We will investigate anonymous complaints in the same way outlined above and seek to put things right if the complaint is found to be justified.

However, if an anonymous complaint involves alleged misconduct by a member of staff which, if proven, would be grounds for disciplinary action, then the appropriate officer responsible for disciplinary matters will investigate the complaint.

Complaints Commissioner

Where you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint you can contact the Office of the Complaints Commissioner. The Complaints Commissioner is an independent person who investigates allegations of maladministration causing injustice to the person who has complained. The Commissioner can be contacted at:

  • Complaints Commission
  • PO Box 2252 KY1-1107
  • 202 Piccadilly Centre
  • 28 Elgin Avenue
  • George Town
  • Telephone (345) 943-2220
  • Fax (345) 943-2221

Last Updated: 2009-02-11

Last Updated 2011-08-11